COCIR members have a long-standing engagement in EU-funded research and innovation. Our Research & Innovation Focus Group coordinates all COCIR activities to support a vibrant ecosystem for healthcare research, development & innovation in the European Union.
Horizon 2020 has brought together all EU research and innovation funding under a single programme. It combines all research and innovation funding currently provided in the European Union. COCIR has contributed ideas in a Strategic Research Agenda (September 2016).
The European Commission published the proposal for the follow-up programme, Horizon Europe, on 7 June 2018. The legislative process to finalise the Framework is currently on-going, and we expect that first calls will be launched in 2021. We have developed the following recommendations to ensure that Horizon Europe helps our members conducting R&D&I in Europe and bringing the most innovative medical and digital health innovation to the European patient:
1. Ensure sufficient budget for health research & innovation, especially for the digital transformation of health and care.
2. Support the creation of a dedicated healthcare partnership.
3. Retain the possibility from the European Commission proposal to access funding from other programmes through the Seal of Excellence.
4. Keep the Rules for Participation in the continuity from Horizon 2020, including funding rates, selection criteria and IPR provisions.
5. Clarify the open access obligation to ensure that an opt-out due to legitimate commercial interests remains possible.
6. Involve all relevant stakeholders, including industry, early in the formulation and selection of the missions, also the dedicated mission on cancer.
Five industry associations representing pharmaceutical, biotech and medical technologies industries operating in Europe (COCIR, EFPIA, MedTech Europe, EuropaBio and Vaccines Europe) have come together to propose an institutionalized Public-Private Partnership (PPP) under Horizon Europe. Its objective is to guide future public-private research & innovation and contribute to patient-centred, integrated healthcare. Read more on https://www.euhealthppp.org/.